Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Teaching Tip #127


Teacherscribe’s Teaching Tip #127


#5 – Believe in your students more than they believe in themselves.

Last year when I had to re-apply for the WEM award, I asked Laura Brickson to write me a letter of recommendation (I needed one from an administrator, a parent of a student or community member, and a student), she noted something I didn’t realize until she wrote it – “Mr. Reynolds deeply cares about each one of his students which extends itself far beyond the reaches of LHS.  Our daughter struggled with mental illness through her sophomore, junior, and beginning of senior year. Mr. Reynolds never gave up on her as a student or as a person. He emailed, texted, and reached out through social media to both Hannah, and us, her parents. He encouraged her to keep trying and supported her even she couldn’t support herself.”

That last sentence brought tears to my eyes.  I never realized that, but I think that’s a good thing.  We care because that’s what we do as teachers.




No comments: