Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Teaching Tip #20



Teacherscribe’s Teaching Tip #20



  1. Go on a Mission and Skip Class

A few years ago, we actually did this.  My students were stressing pretty hard in the fall of the year.  So I said that we would schedule a class walk to Dead Man’s Trail and back.  

They were all for it.  And then things began to happen and the week became a blur.  Pretty soon the day for the trip was upon us, and I was ready to cancel it.

Then I saw several students in the hallway and they all asked, “So we’re still going for the walk, right?”

How could I say no to that?

As we trekked from Lincoln to Dead Man’s Trail and then down the River Walk by Hugo’s and back to Lincoln, I made sure to spend time walking with each of my students and just visiting with them – not as a teacher but just as someone who was interested in them.

It was wonderful.

No comments: