Thursday, May 04, 2017

Teaching Tip #165



Teacherscribe’s Teaching Tip #165
What lesson could you sell tickets for?  Or what lesson do students love the most?
I posed this question to half a dozen former students in the fall.  I thought they’d all mention the one that was my choice for the one lesson that I could sell tickets for.  But I actually got four different answers.  I hope that’s a good thing.
Adam shared that his favorite assignment was our Stick-Note Book Report.
I ask students to list on a note card three topics they love to read about.  Then I ask them to list two topics they don’t want to read about at all.
From their lists, I choose a book for them to read.  As they read, they must include at least 50 Sticky-Notes.  I’m hoping to expose them to the importance of not only annotating a text but to reading a text that is both nonfiction and college level and actually enjoying it.
Then when students are done, they must give a book talk to the class in which they share a quick summary of the book, one topic they are interested in researching, and one shocking or interesting fact from the book.

No comments: