Thursday, November 05, 2015

Today's Reads, Views, and Links

Here is my pre 12 hour parent/teacher conference edition of today's reads, views, and links.

I'm happy to say that this was my childhood.  Only my sister was much too big to play Star Wars with me!!  But I played this scenario out in my backyard, in our front yard, on Mrs. Miller's porch, right on the 3rd street which ran in front of our house, under the rail road tracks that used to run behind Thibert's RV and motorcycle shop, and even down the hill that was across the street from our house.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.



The fact that some major spoilers for the seventh installment of Star Wars: The Force Awakens might have been shown in here is even better.

*********
I love art, especially abstract art.  Rothko is my favorite, but I love many others too.  Inevitably, when my students see his work, which initially appear as just streaks upon streaks of pain, they think, man, I could do that!

Well here is an assignment that asks them to do just that.





**********


One of the best books I've read in quite awhile has been Carol Dweck's The Growth Mindset. Here is a great illustration of it.

 

******

And what English teacher doesn't struggle with this eternal question: What is Literature for?





What is Literature for? from Marcus Armitage on Vimeo.

***********

What a small world it is.  Yesterday, one of my colleagues came in asking about what I do for extra credit.

After I explained my policy to her, she showed me this!



Apparently, someone somewhere - whether it was from a session I hosted somewhere or from reading this blog - but someone stumbled upon my idea for the Sticky-Note book report and is doing their own thing with it.  Though they stole the idea from me (and to be fair, I stole the bulk of it from a member of the RRVWP that I was part of years ago), but I'm stealing some of the different ways they have tweaked it.

I love seeing assignments take on a life of their own as they are transformed into practice.

**********


No comments: