Friday, November 06, 2015

Teaching Tip #43



Teacherscribe’s Teaching Tip #43

Another book that really impacted my teaching last year was Carmine Gallo’s Talk Like TED: The 9 Public Speaking Secrets of the Worlds’ Top Minds.

Tip #9 - stay in your lane.

Play to your strengths.  But I think this has another dimension: don’t use your platform as a soapbox.  In other words, don’t have a hidden agenda.

I used to do this, though.  I’d spout off about my liberal doctrine in class.

I don’t do that anymore.  My job is to get kids to think, not tell them what to think.


So everything I teach reinforces my lane - which is I’m all about my students learning about themselves (what are their strengths and what are their passions) and then trying to tailor the curriculum to fit that.

No comments: