Saturday, March 02, 2019

Teaching Thoughts for Week 26


Good morning and happy March!

I know I say this every week, but our work matters.

I was reminded of that when my sister, Barb, who works as a safety consultant for businesses and school districts around the state, sent me this note -

I’m walking around with Joel, the head custodian at a local school, and we’re talking about how important it is to develop relationships with the students and to be kind.  He told me, “A few years ago we had a student where that just didn’t quite fit in.  I always make time to talk and joke with her.  Always asked how things were going.  She was involved in a car accident this fall and died. The day after, her dad called and asked if I’d be a pall bearer . . .”

He looked at me with tears in his eyes and said, “I’m probably gonna get a little emotional here but . . . her dad said once that she told him, ‘Dad, if anything ever happens to you, I’d want Joel to be my dad.”

Joel said, “I never knew that, Barb . . . and it took her dying for me to find that out . . . You know – kindness really matters . . . I didn’t think I was doing anything special. That’s how I treat all kids.  But to her, it was the world . . .”

Our work matters.  That is why it’s so vital to be kind, to care, and to listen.  How do you go out of your way to ‘see’ the kids or employees who are ‘unseen’? 

I had a student in my first semester College Comp I class who was incredibly shy and rarely says a word.  But because he always came about 20 minutes early to class, I was able to get to know him better and to get him to open up.  We have developed a relationship now where he will text me about things that happen to him from time to time.  Shortly after the new semester started, he sent me a text talking about how he was in a class but the teacher didn’t notice him . . . so much so that he was counted absent when he was actually in class!  He was hurt, so I confessed that sometimes when I’m taking attendance in a rush with a lot on my mind, I’ll accidentally mark a student absent when they are actually in class.  I don’t know if that helped him or not, but I sure go out of my way to say hello to him and ask him how he is doing every chance I get.

No one should ever feel like they’re invisible!  What are some ways you recognize your students or employees?  How do you make them feel valued.

Remember – and I stole this from Chris Hogan of Entreleadership – we all crave A.I.R. Appreciation, Inspiration, and Recognition.

Have you ever heard of someone leaving a job because they were appreciated too much?  Or that they were getting tired of all the inspiration going on in the culture?  Or that they were just sick of getting too much recognition?

Seek to appreciate, inspire, and recognize and you’ll have an even greater impact.

Have a great week!

No comments: