Friday, March 23, 2018

Teaching Tip #129





Teacherscribe’s Teaching Tip #129


# 7 – Show you care

This is so important.  And so easy to do.

My favorite example of this happened two years ago.  Shelby, one of my all-time stellar students, was a starter on the volleyball team that was about to play a big playoff game that - if they won - theyd go to state for the second year in a row.

We had a big pep fest where they trotted the team out and the coach got to say a few words and the crowd did a few cheers.

After that the players were all fired up and ran out of the gym.

I was standing by the exit and saw them all stream out past me.  All except Shelby.

She stopped and talked for about three minutes with one of our special needs students.

I was amazed by this.  But thats Shelby, and she is amazing.

I didnt think much of it.

The team played on Saturday night and lost a tough game.

On Sunday as I watched my beloved Bengals struggle to beat the lousy Browns, I began to get frustrated and down.  Then I thought about the volleyball players and how bummed they must be.

Then I thought of Shelby and what she did for the special needs student.

So I took out my phone and shot her a quick text.  I told her that I knew she was disappointed but if this was the worst shed face, then her life was going to be quite spectacular.  Then I commented on how I saw her take time to visit with the student and how impressed I was by that and how much that revealed about her character.

Within seconds, she replied thanking me.

A few weeks later I ran into her mother, a fellow teacher, in the grocery store.  She said, You know, I had a pretty sad little girl for most of the weekend.  Until she got your text. Then she snapped back to normal.

Thats the power of catching students doing something right and showing how much you care.

No comments: