Monday, November 06, 2017

Teaching Tip #44


Teacherscribe’s Teaching Tip #44

Here is a blog post with a title that I just couldn’t resist clicking on:  9 Elephants in the (Class)Room That Should “Unsettle” Us by one of my favorite people in education, Will Richardson.

Elephant #8 – We know that the system of education as currently constructed is not adequately preparing kids for what follows if and when they graduate.

This is one reason, I believe, we instituted LINC and senior focus.  I have no doubt that our goal in every single class is to get students to learn.  I once surveyed several teachers here, and that was what they said the chief thing we should teach our kids was how to learn.

I think the trick is making students more aware of their learning . . . as opposed to making them think that just “doing” the assignments is the way to learn.  This is one thing that is supposed to make Collections useful: there is no way students can study for the tests.  The tests assess the skills students are learning in each collection.  I like that, but so much about the curriculum is still leaving a lot to be desired.  In my opinion.



No comments: