Monday, April 03, 2017

Teaching Tip #162




Teacherscribe’s Teaching Tip #162
What lesson could you sell tickets for?  Or what lesson do students love the most?
I posed this question to half a dozen former students in the fall.  I thought they’d all mention the one that was my choice for the one lesson that I could sell tickets for.  But I actually got four different answers.  I hope that’s a good thing.
For the record, here was my choice for the lesson that I could sell tickets for –
I have a Keynote that I use with my College Comp students to introduce the ten ways to start an essay.  To punctuate each example, I include actual student examples from past themes, and I use short, engaging videos.
The students have a blast with the examples and videos.
For the action lead, I use this short clip from The Office.
For a misleading lead, I use this hilarious commercial.
For the dialogue lead, I use this classic bit of dialogue.  It’s short but sweet, and highly effective.
And for the shocking lead, I use this scene from Reno 911.
Best of all, I show it to them after they have written some drafts, so I have them practice the leads on their drafts so they are employing each different way to start an essay right into their writing.

No comments: