Monday, April 03, 2017

Teaching Tip #143



Teacherscribe’s Teaching Tip #143
Inspiration (Part 4)
     The next day she introduced us to Edgar Allen Poe.  First she recounted his life.  I was shocked again.  The rock stars I read about had nothing on this guy's wild life. Next Mrs. Christianson read "The Cask of Amontillado."  This time I didn't even think about doodling.  For the first time in my life I sat riveted in a school desk, gripping the edges as she narrated Montresor's hatred for Fortunato and his wicked revenge. Then as soon as she translated that ironic last line, the bell rang.  I was astounded, prying myself from my chair.  I hadn't looked at the clock once.
     Before we left, she gave us an assignment. "I want you to write a prelude to the story.  What could Fortunato have done to Montresor to make him respond this way?  Or is it all in Montresor's head?" she said.   I remember the raised eyebrows and open mouths on my friends, who were bolting for the door, as they saw me stop, open my tablet, and begin writing the assignment down.

        That night was the first night since grade school that I actually did homework.  Only it wasn't like homework at all.  I sat at my desk rapidly writing my prelude until my hand ached and the Tonight Show was on.

No comments: