Friday, November 18, 2016

Teaching Tip #56




Teacherscribe’s Teaching Tip #56
Step #5 from Passion! 8 Steps to Find Yours.
Don’t Stop Until You Find Your Passion
During my first year of teaching, I was so discouraged that I actually filled out an application for the UPS.
Thank God they never called me.
I had lost a bit of my passion.  Or, more correctly, I hadn’t put in the right kind of time in order to find my true passion for teaching.
I was just bumbling along.  Teaching blindly.  I was following the curriculum guide and the “teacher proof” curriculum.  Where is the fun (or passion) in that?
I was teaching (mostly) as I had been taught.  I was too stressed to do any of my own research as to how to effectively become a good teacher.
Then I went to grad school, and I had hours upon hours in my office on the third floor of Hagg-Sauer to ponder and write about that.  There I hammered away at my 10,000 hours.  And through that I allowed my passion to develop and grow.
Had I stopped and given up and found a job at UPS, I would have missed out on my calling.  So hang in there if you haven’t (yet) found your passion.

No comments: