Friday, February 05, 2016

Teaching Tip #98




Teacherscribe’s Teaching Tip #98

My dream assignment #2: parents come to my class and students go to their parents’ work for a day.

How cool would it be to have the parents come in to my classroom for a block while their son or daughter went to their job?

I’d love to see the parents work on an essay or read “A Rose for Emily” and then take some homework home.

I think the parents would learn a lot and gain a better appreciation for what their kids go through on a daily basis.

I think, though, what parents would learn would pale in comparison to what the kids will learn about what it’s like out in the real world.

And I think that is the most valuable lesson they could learn.  And it might just make the student appreciate what goes on in class a bit more.  They might have to write an essay, but that is nothing compared with having to deal with a disgruntled employee or back a sixteen wheeler into a loading bay.

*******************

No comments: