Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Teaching Tip #36




Teacherscribe’s Teaching Tip #36
Another book that really impacted my teaching last year was Carmine Gallo’s Talk Like TED: The 9 Public Speaking Secrets of the Worlds’ Top Minds.
Tip #2 - Master the art of storytelling.
For all the talk about 1:1 technology and social media and all that other stuff, the one thing that never gets old is the art of storytelling.
All technology real is is just another way to tell stories.
Last year I was going to teach one of my favorite stories, “Young Goodman Brown.”
A colleague asked me how I was going to go about doing it.  She was wondering if I had an interesting hook or if I had some grand scheme.
I didn’t.
I was just going to hook all of them with an engaging story that illustrates why every single one of them should read this story because it’s an allegory and like it or not one day soon (usually in college) they will face their man “in the woods” as Brown and Faith do.
She wasn’t impressed.
As a new teacher she wanted something grand and showy to hook the students.
But I knew - thanks to over a decade of teaching the story - that my skills as a storyteller would reel the kids in.
And they were hooked.

Even in this digital age, stories are still vital.

No comments: