Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Leadership

I downloaded several podcasts that featured one of my favorite speakers and writers, Simon Sinek.  So when I had to run to UND a couple weeks ago to turn in some paper work, I searched my iPhone for podcasts that I haven't heard before.

I was surprised to find one entitled EntreLeadership.  I wasn't sure why this was on my phone.  But then I scrolled down the podcast list and found one featuring Simon Sinek.

I listened to that podcast.  Then another. And another.  And yet another.

They are great.  There is an interview with Tony Dungy (in which he says that one of his proudest moments was when Tampa Bay won the Super Bowl the season after he was fired.  What?  How could he say that was one of his proudest moments?  But Dungy explained that he had a hand in building that team that John Gruden took over and won the Super Bowl with.  Dungy's message was great: it's not about him.  It's about his former team.  And he was part of building the atmosphere and culture there that took a miserable franchise and helped turn it into a winner.  I was blown away by what Dungy said).

Now I'm not big on leadership.  Whenever I hear that word I think of jargon like "open lines of communication" and "top down leadership."  Likewise, I think of someone who can't make a living on their own or run a company of their own so, thus, they must derive a living by doing the lecture circuit telling others how they should run their businesses and organizations.

But EntreLeadership, started by Dave Ramsey, reeled me in.

First, they have a simple mission (and one that I was a bit skeptical of) -  they provide Biblically based commonsense education and empowerment which gives HOPE to everyone from the financially secure to the financially distressed.

They stick to that and that's why that sell.

One of the podcasts that I like most is when Ramsey talks about the five things vital to unity.  When I listen to it I think of our school, our department, and my classes.  So when I look at all five of these, I'm applying them to those areas.

1.  Clear communication - unity is threatened when communication isn't clear.  People get suspicious of others simply because they don't know what is going on.  This happened in my department a few years ago when a colleague retired mid-year and there was some confusion about how the position was going to be filled.  And it really hurt the unity of our department.

2.  Gossip - And I love his definition:  gossip is when a negative is discussed with anyone who can't fix the problem.  Wow!  How often I have been guilty of that!  Unfortunately, I have contributed too much to negativity and helped rip the unity of our school apart.  Ramsey's company handles this in one fashion, a "zero plus one tolerance policy."  First, he warns his employees and explains how what that person did is gossip.  If it happens again, he fires them.

Imagine that!  How many of us would still be around if our bosses had that policy.

3.  Unresolved disagreement / Conflict - Now I'm not one to want to have conflict.  I like to smooth things out, even to the point where I will bite my tongue or go against my core beliefs just to avoid confrontation.

And though I know this isn't right, it's still what I do.  But I'm working on it.

I like what Ramsey says about conflict - if there is a wound in an organization, the best way to fix it is to treat and sterilize the wound.  That is what resolving conflict is - it's sterilizing the wound so it can heal.  If you don't have that, it won't heal.

4.  Shared Purpose - have a goal.  Leaders must restate the goal, vision statement, purpose early and often.  Get everyone to buy in and work toward it.

I think that's what I do well in my class.  We have a great sense of shared purpose.

5.  Sanctioned incompetence demoralizes - don't put up with people who don't pull their weight.  The team will grow weak when members see that a leader son't address incompetence.

Again, this is something I'm working on in my classes all the time.


The podcasts are amazing.  Now Dave Ramsey in his nationally syndicated radio show is a lot to handle - he's along the lines of Rush Limbaugh or Keith Olbermann.  So I'm not a huge fan of those, but these podcasts are excellent.

Check them out if you're interested in learning more about being a leader and having healthier organizations.


No comments: