Thursday, June 06, 2013

Summer Post #1

So far this summer my plans have mostly included nothing except for being a Dad.  And that's fine with me. Cash and Kenz keep me plenty busy.

I have done some work on a technology class I'll be teaching next week at our NWSC.  I've done some PD reading and writing.

Since there is no correcting or lesson planning to be done in the evenings, I have watched more TV this week than I did all winter.

My wife loves Bravo, so our DVR is filled with Watch What Happens Live, The Real Housewives of (enter any of the four or five various locations), Married to Medicine, and Million Dollar Listings.  Besides that our DVR is devoted to The Backyardigans, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, and Scooby Doo.  The only thing I have on there is the first round of this year's NFL draft.

The one show that we both will watch, though, is The Voice.  Kristie is a much bigger fan than me, but it's been great so far this season.  It makes me wonder how I ever could have sat through two or three entire seasons of American Idol.

Then Tuesday night we happened to catch a random night of America's Got Talent.  I would normally never watch anything like that.  But we watched a few acts, and I have to tell you, I was hooked.  There were so many talented people and touching stories that I found myself sucked right in.

I think there were half a dozen performances that were remarkable.  Now I don't know if this was just an extraordinary night for American's Got Talent or if every night is like that.  But it was awesome.

Here are a couple of my favorite acts -

This one was the first act I caught.  It's amazing.  And to think - his wife tricked him into going on to the show!  His genuine reaction - not to mention his love for his wife (and her reaction) - is amazing.  It's not quite on the level of what happened with Susan Boyle on Britian's Got Talent, but this is great.  I thought while I watched this for the tenth time, how, regardless of a student's talent, we should offer them some kind of forum or stage or chance where we can let them shine and then look them in the eye and tell them that they're amazing.



This was totally unexpected and wonderfully original.  If they do stuff like this all the time, I could listen to them every day.  Also, just look at how much fun they're having!




How a 10 year old can have a voice like this is mind boggling.  What I love about her is how calm and secure she is in her element.  She ends up acting like the adult while her mother is overcome with joy and awe at her little girl.




Here is Special Head.  How he pulls this trick off is beyond me, but the crowd's reaction is priceless.



And finally "B-double o - T- Y" All this guy wants is one hit.  Yes, he wants to be a one hit wonder.  And damn it, if this isn't a catchy song.

I think my favorite part of the show is the host.  He truly loves his job and is awesome.  Look at how much fun he is having here!



If the rest of the episodes are as great as this, I could watch it every night and never get tired!

No comments: