Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Kenzie's taste in music

is quite eclectic. To say the least.

When we were staining the deck two summers ago, she heard Adele for the first time.  Soon she was belting out "Rolling in the Deep" all on her own.  Now once in awhile she will proclaim, "Can you play that song we listened to last summer while staining the deck?"

Ever since she saw the Scooby Doo Halloween episode, in which Shaggy and Scooby can't wait to make it to Banning Junction to see KISS perform, Kenz has loved "Rock and Roll All Night" and "Shout it out Loud."

Just last week I tried introducing her to a couple of my favorite bands from the 80's - Motley Crue and Def Leppard as we drove to T-Ball practice.  I was trying to get her pumped up for practice with a little "Shout at the Devil" and "Rock! Rock! (Till You Drop)" but she was luke warm about it.

But I am thrilled that she loves music.  The other night she put on a show up in the loft above our garage, which we have turned into a toy room for the kids.  She grabbed the lightsaber she got from Uncle Barb for her birthday.  She used that as a mic stand.  Then she grabbed her Dora the Explorer Microphone and set it on top of her lightsaber, climbed up on a footstool, and began belting out her favorite numbers, which included "It's Time" by Imagine Dragons, "Wanna Be Startin' Something" by Michael Jackson, and "Werewolves of London" by Warren Zevon.

One of my favorite things about Kenzie and her newfound passion for music is her interpretation of lyrics.

One of my least favorite songs, which also happens to be (of course) one of Kristie's favorites is "Piano Man" by Billy Joel.  I was forced to listen to it one day and asked what a "tiny canjin" was.  Kristie had no idea what I was talking about.  I said in the song the man talks about his making love to his "tiny canjin."  I thought it was some type of tiny guitar or something.  Kristie laughed and said, "It's Tonic and Gin."  And to be fair, that made a lot of sense.

That reminds me of the infamous book 'Scuse me While I Kiss This Guy, which is about misinterpreted lyrics.  The title comes from the author's misunderstanding of Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze" and the line "'Scuse me while I kiss the sky."

She has a soft spot for Lady Gaga too, especially "Born this Way" and most recently "Bad Romance," which she pronounces "Bad Petromance" for whatever reason.

For a long time Kenz would sing the line "I reee - Someone Like an Easter Nose"  which is from the song "Somebody That I Used to Know" by Goyte.

But she's getting better.  Yesterday morning she came up to me and said, "Dad," and she began to sing "It's been a really, really messed up week.  Seven days of torture, seven days of bitter.   And my girlfriend cheated on me."  ha ha.  Those are the first lines of her new favorite song, "Tonight, Tonight" by Hot Chelle Rae.

As long as she stays away from country music (except for Jonny Cash), we'll be fine!


2 comments:

Big Sis said...

I can't WAIT to introduce her to "We Built This City"!

TeacherScribe said...

I knew you we're going to say that! But I'm trying to expose her to just good music!