Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Big, big changes

That's kind of the theme around ISD 564.

I'm specifically referring to all the construction.  And all the adapting that has to go along with that.  Since the ALC is being remodelled, my classes are over at LHS (in the section of LHS that was remodelled last year).

So we are bouncing around trying to get access to printers and copiers and computers and all that good stuff.

Just this morning as I walked in, I saw a former student of mine (who is still a student here by the way) working for one of the construction crews here.  Then I saw another students manning a wheelbarrow full of bricks.

In between classes I snuck up to see my room (which is completely gutted by is incredibly bright now that there are six large windows inserted), I came across a former player of mine (when I coached one season of JH football in RLF) who was working with the plaster crew.

On my way back to class, I thought What would it be like if we could have some how been able to line up jobs for many of our students with this whole remodel phase?

Sure we could have students hauling bricks, but we could also have them shadowing the electricians or plumbers.  We could have them working with architects and the IT folks.

Even if a student was just hauling brings, think of the experiences!  Even if it's just to learn, man, I never want to do this again in my life!  (As I did when I worked many summers after high school and through college as part of the Tar Crew for the Red Lake County Highway Department).  Perhaps that would motivate them a little more in the classroom to land a different job in the future.  Perhaps they'd love the work and decide that's how they want to spend their time.  Perhaps others would discover talents they never knew they even had.

Maybe this is how school should be structured: immerse students in real world settings and allow them to discover work they like best.

No comments: