Tuesday, March 12, 2013

1:!

That has been our slogan to become a 1:1 school district.  The proposal was for iPads for every student K-8 and Macbook Airs for every student 9-12.

We learned last night at the school board meeting that the board members voted 6-0 to approve the funding for the project.

Oh what amazing opportunities lie ahead for us.  I cannot wait to walk into my classroom (if we even need to meet in my classroom anymore) and begin a lesson with 20 students all plugged in to the laptops.

Now, it won't be a perfect system.  Students will have eight tabs open on their internet browser (just as I now have four open on mine).  And three of those eight will be school related.

I look forward to the challenge of dealing with that.  And by dealing with that, I mean modeling the strategies of an effective plugged in learner.

Somethings I hope to pull off next year: have one student per day run a live Twitter feed for each class, have students create their own blogs and publish their work there, run an almost paperless classroom, and have online discussions.

I cannot wait.  I didn't think it was possible for me to love this job anymore than I already do.  But now I do.

No comments: