Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Five paragraph Themes

We've been writing these as of late, and I'm reminded of why I hate them. However, I introduce my students to them so they can master the format and add it to their bag of tricks for writing in college.

Here is a great poem I came across on the five paragraph theme by Ray Skjelbred:



They thought abstract thinking had become too messy,
So they invented the five-paragraph essay.

Which gave the illusion of order and symmetry
But pushed each voice into anonymity.

Such formulaic steps could be charted on a graph,
that could serve as a writing process epitaph.

Sentences of particularity are the heart of writing.
That's why this form is worth fighting.

It's a strange frame, where words turn to dregs
In a crude little nest without any eggs.

No comments: