Thursday, April 23, 2009

post

I've made the mistake of thinking that my students all know more about technology than I do.

 

Not so.

 

Two weeks ago I challenged my College Comp class to go to youtube and find commercials that they would like to analyze using the Toulmin method of persuasion.

 

"How do you get a video off of youtube?"  One student asked.

 

"No problem," I began, "just copy the url.  Then go to zamzar.com.  Copy and past in the url and then convert it to a 'mov' file and email it to me."

 

I might as well have been speaking in Mandarin Chinese.

 

"I'm not computer savvy," another student called out as several more began nodding their heads.

 

"Wait . . . you can use a term like 'computer savvy,' but you can't figure out how to convert a file?"

 

I couldn't believe it.  But I made the mistake of thinking just because they can text 100 words a second and walk around with their ear buds in one ear, that they really know how to use this technology.

 

Just today I was doing a similar assignment with my College Comp II students.  I was helping one student locate a video on googlevideo to email.  She had her email open, but when I told her to download the video to the desktop, she had no clue.

 

"You've never downloaded a video before?" I asked in shock.

 

"Nope," she said.

 

So much for all of this 'shifthappens' propaganda I've put on here.  Just because the technology is out there doesn't mean that the kids really know how to use it.

 

I guess it just comes as a surprise since I figured if I can bumble my way through figuring out how to use it, my students should have done the same.

 

I guess this just reinforces that I have to use more technology now than ever to expose students to all the potential that is out there.

 

******

 

We had our common prep meeting yesterday.  Since the year is winding down, I think they were running out of presenters, so we met and discussed various issues like what to change in the student handbook, possible common prep topics for next year, thing that worked well for us in class, and so on.

 

The student handbook issue is always a hot one.  We bounced back from cell phones to attendance policies to consistent policies among teachers to consistency in the student handbook and school policy.

 

After last years student handbook policy meeting, this all felt like beating a dead horse.

 

Some teachers want to be told what to do.  Another large portion want it left up to the individual teacher.

 

Unfortunately, it's a smattering of both.  And neither works.

 

Then the cell phone issue arose.  Some want a harsher school wide policy.  Others are fine with their own policy.  One colleague seizes the phone for the entire day if he sees it; they next time he grabs it and gives it to the associate principal.  He has had only a handful of issues all year.

 

Personally, I have given up on the cell phone issue.  Thought I think the previous example is an effective strategy and one that I might employ next year.

 

However, if I spent all my time seizing cell phones, I'd get no work done.

 

Students assume it's a right of theirs to text.  In fact, I had one skillfully written paper by a College Comp student about how to text in class!

 

They will text regardless.  Unless you're willing to permanently confiscate their phone, it's not going to stop.

 

I'm almost to the point where I might begin incorporating them into class.

 

We then talked about possible common prep topics for next year.  The first thing that came up was technology.  That was a unanimous suggestion.  I think we also need a little more consistency too.

 

Last year we adopted a new school website with specific sites for teachers.  We were trained initially how to use it, but then we never had any follow up.  Unfortunately, I have forgotten all that I had learned.  For instance, I have a podcast on my site that I uploaded last year during one of our training sessions.  But now, I have no idea how I got it on there.

 

Finally, we ended with what worked well for us.  I noted that I saw plenty of kids with books in their hands.  So the reading initiatives and programs at the elementary and middle schools are paying off – as well as our SSR program here.

 

I also noted that my classes have been great.  And that's true.  This year has been a treat.  Even this spring when kids are gone nearly every day.  I usually stress myself out trying to get kids caught up and tracking down missing work.  Even though some of that is happening, overall, it's a joy to show up every day.


1 comment:

Me said...

Thanks! I didn't know how to download a video from youtube!

Now I do!