Monday, March 23, 2009

In College Comp II we are doing multi-genre research papers.

These kids are phenomenal.

They are taking this rather strange concept and totally running with it.

I asked them to fill out a form detailing their topics, what aspect of their topics they will focus on, the genres they will incorporate, examples and ideas for each genre, and finally any concerns or questions they might have.

The topics alone blew me away. One student is researching her mother, who died when she was a child. Another is writing a paper on ethics, using the recent Watchmen movie and its heroes as examples. Another is analyzing how deer works as a family bonding experience. Yet another is writing an ode to her parents. While another student is researching her grandfather.

Then there are some off the cuff ones: one focusing on the Rubik’s Cube, UFC (Unlimited Fighting Championship), cheesecake, and Superman.

All are interesting. More importantly, all are personally meaningful.

I can’t believe I get paid to read them.

****

Brian, a former student of mine, stopped by last week for a visit while he was home on spring break from the U.

What an amazing young man he has become. I am so proud of him and the fact that I was able to play a small role in his time here.

I recall two excellent essays – one on a particularly grizzly wipe out he had while biking and an excellent persuasive essay on the advantages of shipping via locomotives rather than diesel trucks.

We talked for a good hour before the bell rang, ending my prep block.

***

No comments: