Friday, March 08, 2019

Teaching Thought #118

 


Teacherscribe's Teaching Thought #118

Give your class back to your students.  Way #4 – Let them back in control of their own behavior chart.

A behavior chart?  Not my cup of tea.

From the article – am a big fan of developing habits of mind, mindset, mindfulness and all of the other “minds” we have in education. It is also important for my students to set goals. While I still see the role of public group contingency plans in some cases, I have been experimenting with keeping these charts private and under the control of the individual student.


So far, it has been working, and students are motivated to move towards their next goal once they have completed their chart. The only monitoring I do comes in the form of the e-mail that StarChart sends me everyday, but even then I try to put the responsibility on the student to be honest with their awarded stars.

No comments: