Monday, July 12, 2010

Thoughts at Mid-Summer

I know, I know . . . it's summer, right? Who is supposed to be thinking in the summer?

There are some pretty interesting things bouncing around my head lately. But given how hard Kristie works around the house and yard (which means that I just try to keep up), I haven't had much time to blog about them.

First, I cannot begin to express how much fun I had getting to know Don and Mike on the Atlanta trip. I wish my kids could take their classes. Talk about two intelligent and passionate teachers. After each days' events, we'd usually head out for dinner and spend the rest of the night talking shop. Again, I cannot express how committed these teachers are to their craft, school, and profession. Talking with them about some of the issues and frustrations they were facing at their school, I couldn't help but be thankful for our new leadership and the renewed sense of purpose we now have at LHS.

Second, there has been quite the debate going on over at minnesotalady's blog. In particular, this post and this one. It seems to me that the debate began about high stakes testing and whether or not that can be used to evaluate teachers. Let me say this right from the start, I'm not sure it can . . . or can't. But I'm very interested in the debate (if you want to know more check out John Merrow's excellent podcasts via PBS at iTunes). However, as is typical of our society, the debate quickly degenerated into an attack and counter attacks. Now, let me say this here too, I'm just as guilty of this as anyone. I handled the Kaffir Boy controversy foolishly on this blog, lashing out in frustration as opposed to skillfully crafting an argument and rebuttal (as I did in the local paper). But I hope I've learned my lesson on this.

However, it seems to me the discussion was more about ranting about ineffective teachers (and they're out there) and union bashing rather than any real form of debate.

But that is par for what passes for 'debate' in our 'either/or' society. It seem plausible to be an effective teacher AND still question the purpose of the high stakes testing. Just as it is plausible to support teachers AND still question the benefits of tenure.

But it's been interesting to read and contribute.

Third, I have to design a video for the all school reunion. I was conveniently put in charge of the entire ceremony, but I'm far too busy for that . . . Kristie's first doctor's appointment is tomorrow, I have summer school beginning next week, I have to get my work done for my Hamline credits done by Aug 1, I have a BLT meeting coming up in a week, and I have to take care of Kenzie.

No comments: