Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Back to the Stone Age

My BlackBerry has been out for the past couple weeks now. I thought that was a big transition.

But late Saturday night I was about to upload some pictures of Casey hosing Kenzie down with a garden hose when I noticed that it was taking an unusually long time to upload the pics.

I carried my MacBook to the kitchen to plug it in. I noticed a strange clicking sound coming from the lower right corner. I restarted it and saw a very ominious screen containing a folder with a question mark on it. The picture flashed at me over and over.

Not good.

I did a little research on the internet via our desktop computer. The news was not good: most likely a fried hard drive.

Thankfully, last summer I invested in Leopard which allowed me to use Time Machine to back up my computer. At the same time I invested in a one terabyte Western Digital external hard drive, which now contains everything I used to have on my MacBook's defunct hard drive.

All those pictures, videos, keynotes, thousands of dollars of music, and all of my lesson plans and assignments!

I figured I was screwed, so I went to the apple store and had a brand new MacBook Pro all lined up to order when Kristie said, "Just call Apple and see if there is anything that can be done for you hard drive."

So I did.

Good thing too.

The apple tech support guy not only waived the $50 tech support charge but he also informed me that apple had an extended warranty on those hard drive - even though my pricey apple care protection plan had expired in January - and it was all covered. I just have to take it to GF and have the folks at Insight Technologies replace it.

Whew.

But let me tell you, it was strange having neither my MacBook nor my BlackBerry for a couple of days.

No comments: