Friday, October 07, 2022

Drenched


It is hard to tell, but that is me in the middle of that throng. I am gettin drenched. This is after our first win of the football season, 32-0, over Fergus Falls. While it was not pleasurable at all - there is nothing like having ice cold water doused on you - unexpectedly on a chilly evening - to shock your system - it was worth it.

I should have seen this coming as the same thing happened almost 365 days before when we upset Fergus Falls in Fergus Falls by the score of 13-10 to win our first game of that season. Coach Hennings was the instigator that time.

This time, though, it was more rewarding because the players themselves were the ring leaders here. It was all their idea. I think you can tell on their faces, particularly Friedrich's and Rosendahl's how much fun they were having at the prospect of dousing me after our first win. Heck, even Potluck who was out with a knee injury even gets in on the action in his fur coat.

I love this picture because it shows what we are capable of as a team when we all work together. Not only did the offense finally come together in the second half, scoring four touchdowns, but the guys here all had to come together in order to pull this off. I was too busy making sure several of the younger players got playing time to notice the water cart getting closer to me and all the seniors grabbing water bottles and closing in. As soon as the time hit 0:00, I had the shock of the year as the water rushed over my head and down my back.

I took a steaming hot shower back home - I live about 3 minutes from the field - and went to Mr. Dyer's homecoming party with a huge smile on my face. Not because I got drenched but because the team performed so well for once as a cohesive unit.

 

No comments: