Tuesday, March 01, 2022

Teaching Thoughts - Week 24, the just "Hold On" Edition

Week 24 - The Just Hold On Edition

 

In these very difficult times, I received a text from a colleague that features the meme that open this week's Teaching Thoughts - It reads "You are totally replaceable at work. You're not replaceable at home. Home is your real life. Keep that perspective. Always."

 

Very good advice for us all in these trying times. As I read that, I was reminded of something that happened a month ago that illustrates that point. In fact, I'm going to use this little moment as the basis for the sample reflective essay I will be writing with my College Comp I class for our upcoming reflective essay theme.

 

Kristie, Kenzie, Cash, and I were coming back from Brainerd where we spent a day visiting KoKo, Cody, and their son, Theo. Kenzie and Cash were in the back of our Highlander. Kenzie had her Airpods as she listened to her phone.

 

We stopped in Detroit Lakes to refill and a bathroom break. As Kenzie got out, one of her Airpods fell out and dropped right into that spot in the seat where the seatbelt buckle comes out. I can't tell you the number of things I've lost to that vaccuum. It's like the Bermuda Triangle of any vehicle.

 

She began searching for it, fearing it was lost. All the way home, Kenzie stressed about it, for the more she searched, the deeper it seemed to fall into the back seat.

 

When we got home, and I pulled the Highlander into the garage, Kenzie dashed into the house and soon emerged with a flashlight, determined to retrieve it.

 

The poor kid searched under the seat. She stared into the hole where the seat belt buckle was. She even climbed into the back of the Highlander to see if she could get to the Airpod that way. 

 

No luck.

 

Finally, I took my turn. I peered under seat, scavenging with my left hand while I held the flashlight with my right. I saw a flash white just behind the track that the seat rested on. I grabbed the handle for the seat and slid it back as far as it could go on the track. The Airpod slide into view more. I pushed back on the apolstry beneath the seat and it fell into my hand. 

 

I stood up, palming the Airpod, and turned to Kenzie.

 

"Look what I found," I grinned, holding open my palm.

 

"Thanks, Daddy!" Kenzie grinned, grabbed the Airpod, and gave me a bearhug.

 

"I guess tonight I'm your hero," I joked.

 

Kenzie hugged me again and said, "Dad, you're always my hero."

 

For the first time - maybe ever - I felt like my own father, who was able to solve almost any problem that ever came our way.

 

I slept well that night!

 

The point is this - as important as your work may be,  it shouldn't define you or determine your happiness.

 

Inside this week' Teaching Thoughts, you'll find -

 

The World is a Fine Place . . . A Starbucks worker sees a stranger approach a young girl who was studying. Thinking quickly, the barista grabbed a hot chocolate that someone had failed to pick up and wrote a note on it which said if she felt uncomfortable with the stranger, all she had to do was take the lid off the drink and the barista would intervene. Thankfully, the girl was fine and the man walked away after lingering tin the coffee shop for a bit. Still. It's nice to know others have your back.

 

Book of the Week . . . Penny Kittle's masterpiece, Write Beside Them. If you're a composition teacher, this is as good as it gets. I've read this dozen times, but lately I've been looking for some inspiration and motivation, so I grabbed my beloved copy off the shelve and dove in.

 

Teaching Thoughts - This whole week is devoted to developing and growing culture. There is no easy way out when it comes to culture. If you aren't focused on growing and maintaining it, then you don't really have a culture. That's dangerous.

 

Podcast of the Week - John O'Leary's Live Inspired Podcast. This episode is on the three important lessons he learned from his burn doctors. If you are struggling right now, give this a listen. You can't possibly be struggling as much as O'Leary was when he was a child and had 100 percent of his body burned in a terrible accident.

 

Video of the Week - If you've ever struggled with an issue that never get solved. You will relate to this video, which so reminds me of my youth growing up on a farm.

 

Bonus Content - Maybe the most important item on here - and sticking with the theme for the week - 11 Ways to Build a Positive School Culture. Again, if you even have to wonder what your school culture is . . . Well, then you don't have one and it's probably a bad culture. Fix that. Follow these 11 steps and improve it. Immediately.

 


PS - the background image this week is from a mega Lego set Kenzie saved up for and bought last week. It's from the Lego City line and it's an entire city block.

No comments: