Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Teaching Thoughts Week 25

And – just like that – it‘s the end of February! 

This week in my College Comp class, they are beginning to write a how to paper. Their first topic is how to survive college. To get them thinking I assigned them a chapter from Thomas Friedman’s That Used to Be Us. The chapter is entitled “Average is Over.” Early on in the chapter Friedman states that he believes Woody Allen’s old adage of “90 percent of live is showing up” is just not true anymore. What really counts is what you do when you get there with the skills you have (or, more likely, what you can do with the skills you learn or acquire on the job).

As I was reading the chapter yesterday to prepare for our classroom discussion on Monday, I was struck by a couple of things. 

First, I was struck by what Friedman refers to as ‘extra.’ He argues that in order for workers (and that is every one of our students) to be relevant in the future, they will have to find a way to bring their ‘extra.’ That may mean an incredible work ethic that sets them apart, superior skills or knowledge, or being so creative that you can invent your next job rather than having to rely on getting hired. So, my first question to you, fellow teachers, is what is your extra? That is what do you intentionally do that sets you apart from everyone else? In this age of scripted, “with fidelity” curriculum, I think finding your ‘extra’ is more important than ever. Personally, I have a few different ‘extras’ I try to bring – 1. I do the assignments with my students (hence, I was re-reading “Average is Over” and completing the assignment right along with my kids. 2. I give students my cell number. If they have questions, they can reach out to me. 3. I strive to build a classroom culture that is second to none (it actually takes a back seat to a lot of other classrooms here at LHS, but it’s what I strive for that really counts).

Second, Friedman offers some excellent advice on how to develop an ‘extra’ mindset. First, you must think like an immigrant. Friedman notes that if you come to this great country, you don’t have a legacy scholarship waiting for you at Yale. You don’t have anyone to put a good word in for you with an employer. The only way you can improve your lot in life is to work. Nothing is given. You have to work to gain it all. No matter what university you attend or what job you land, I’ve never heard of anyone getting fired or getting a negative evaluation for working too damn hard. Second, you must think like an artisan. Friedman talks about how centuries ago – before industrialization – in an artisan society, if you created something (whether it was a saddle, a shield, a cradle, or a pair of shoes), the artisan was so proud of his or her work that they often carved their initials in the product. Now, today, what kind of work do you do that you are so proud of that you’d leave your mark on it? Again, I don’t know any place of higher learning or any employer that would turn you away for taking ownership of your work and what you produce. Finally, Friedman encourages us to think like a waitress at Perkins. When he was writing this book, Friedman met a friend at Perkins in Minneapolis. His friend ordered buttermilk pancakes and a plate of fruit. When they waitress brought them their food, she told his friend, “And I gave you extra fruit.” She got a 50% tip for going out of her way. Now that waitress didn’t control much, but she did have control over the fruit ladle! Again, for students and workers, I cannot stress enough how the little things are so important!

So, again, fellow teachers, I’d love to know the ways in which you are thinking like immigrants, artisans, and waitresses! Let me know. I always get so much inspiration from those of you who reach out to share!

Inside this week’s Teaching Thoughts –

The World is a Fine Place and Worth Fighting For – Sure, I thought teaching was my dream job, but this retiree may have one upped me. He spends his days at an animal shelter napping with stray cats!

Book of the Week – This week I look at The Call by Peadar O’Guilin. It’s what The Hunger Games would be like had Stephen King written it! You’ve been warned. It’s one of the best (and by that I mean most horrifying) YA reads I’ve had in a long time.

Teaching Thoughts – for Teaching Thought #110, I ask, when did you ‘become’ a teacher? This tip features one of my favorite passages about teaching. It comes from Frank McCourt’s Memoir, ‘Tis. It focuses on that moment he realizes what it truly means to be a teacher instead of a content deliverer or one who simply meets the state standards. It’s amazing. Don’t miss it.

Podcast of the Week – this week I yet again focus on Scott Mann’s The Generosity of Scars. I’ve listened to this almost non-stop since I came across it two weeks ago. I can’t wait to have a podcast club meeting around this. It’s just so good. It’s impacted my life in so many ways. Don’t miss out.

Video of the week – this is one I saw on Facebook. Two teachers spoof sports. You know how during big athletic events, they always have a reporter poised on the sidelines or outside the locker room to talk to the head coach to see what she or he thought of the first half? Well, these two teachers do that for the middle of a school day. It’s amazing!

Thoughts from Twitter – check out the last one by @TeachMrReed. The final line really helped me through a conflict I had with a student: “. . . second chances are more important than proving my point.”

Tech Tool of the Week – Pechaflickr. This is a great tool for spontaneously generating topics and slideshows for speeches.

Where are they now – I catch up with a student who it seems was just finishing up College Comp II two years ago (it was 2011, actually), Meghan Jones who is teaching now a Kindergarten teacher at Challenger! Her kids are blessed to see that smile every day of the year!

Bonus content of the week – Tips for Parent-Teacher Conferences. It’s that time of year for us at LHS, so I thought I’d add this for anyone interested in trying to maximize their P/T conferences.

Have a great week. Remember, our work matters. Every. Day.


No comments: