Monday, December 17, 2018

Teaching Thought #68



Teacherscribe's Teaching Thought #68


The five digital tools I can’t teach without.


Tool #2 – Piktochart


Mariah introduced me to Piktochart a few years ago.  The student has not become the master! I don’t know how I ever taught without this.  


Piktochart, for the uninitiated, is a free tool for creating infographs.


How I use Piktochart.


I use it as an option for projects.  It is one of many ways students may choose to best illustrate their understanding or knowledge of a concept.


It’s a phenomenal tool to generate visual representations of concepts/ideas.  Here is one I created for a concept from Cal Newport’s So Good They Can’t Ignore You, called “The Adjacent Possible.”


I use it as a presentation tool.  Students get tired of Keynotes, Powerpoints, and Googleslides.  So once in awhile, I’ll create a Piktochart and use it in place of those formats.


I use it to illustrate research ideas and concepts.  Here is one I used when doing a research project at UND.


Students find it relatively easy to use and enjoy it.


Here are some student examples –


A student used it to contrast two opposing views in The Ghost Map.


A student used it as a presentation tool to represent her “adjacent possible” example.


Here is another example of a student who used it as a presentation tool to illustrate her “deliberate practice” as it related to dance.


A student uses Piktochart to illustrate the key people and ideas from a book we read in class.


Bonus content –


Here is how Mariah uses it as a cool alternative to boring ass syllabi.



No comments: