Thursday, December 06, 2018

Teaching Thought #61




Teacherscribe's Teaching Thought #61

One of my favorite people in education, George Couros, has 8 Things to Look for in Today’s Classroom.

#7 - Self-Assessment – I don’t think that I have ever heard a teacher say, “I can’t wait until we get to write report cards!”  That being said, I think we spend too much time focusing on being able to tell others what our students can do and know, and not enough time helping students understand those things themselves.  Portfolios are a great way to share this knowledge and will actually have students develop their own understanding of what they know.  If you can write in a report card that a student can do something in October, yet they can’t do it in January, is that report card still relevant?  I think that we should spend more time working with students to teach them how to assess themselves and not just do it for them.



No comments: