Tuesday, December 04, 2018

Teaching Thought #59


Teacherscribe's Teaching Thought #59

One of my favorite people in education, George Couros, has 8 Things to Look for in Today’s Classroom.

#5 - Critical Thinkers – In the “factory model” of education, students were meant to be compliant and basically do “as they were told.”  This is not something that sticks with a child only, but goes into adulthood as well and it creates “yes” people who tend to lose all originality.  One of my best friends and my first admin partner, told me to never just let him go out on his own with his ideas without questioning them and sharing my thoughts.  His reason?  He wanted the best ideas, not his ideas.  He wanted me to ask questions.  He wanted to be successful.  It was not his ego that was important, but the success of his staff and students.  I have learned to ask the same of all those I work with and although it can turn into spirited conversations, it was best not only for school but all organizations.  We need to have students that are able to ask questions and challenge what they see, but always in a respectful way.



No comments: