Saturday, November 17, 2018

Teaching Thoughts for Week 11

And, just like that, Thanksgiving is here.  Where has the year gone?

Several things for this week -

1.  I see that we just got a new link to our SafeSchools Online Training.  Given that my sister owns a very successful safety consulting business, I wouldn't suggest for a second that safety training isn't important.  But there is training, and then there is training.  We used to have hands on CPR training, and I actually used that a few years ago to save the life of my dog.  Then there is the online stuff.  Every person I know who has to go through this training has the same exact message: put it on and let it run while you watch a movie, do yard work, or update your lesson plans.  

Why?

Well, it's boring and the slideshows are some of the worst examples of slideshows I've ever seen.  

Yet, I always am eager for the training.  Despite its flaws.

Why?

Because I get to use this message in class and in the teacher inservices I teach.  Whenever I bring up online safety training to teachers (it doesn't matter if they're from our district or not), they all roll their eyes and groan.

Why?

Because they all have the same message: This is so boring! When am I ever going to actually use any of this?  I just want to pass it with a basic score and get on with what really matters?

Now, here is why I love it so much: I tell every student/teacher/administrator this - that is exactly how our students feel when they show up to our classes.  So what are we going to do differently to actually engage, inspire, and challenge them?

Well, that's the art of teaching!

2.  Check this video out: Skateboarding Principal Takes New Approach.  I got this from the remarkable Mrs. Kelsey Johnson when she presented last week at my UND Teaching & Learning 250 class.  This middle school principal has something for all of us to learn.  First, his passion is contagious.  Second, I love his "deskless principal" approach.  (This also reminds me of a great book I read about six years ago called The Rolling Desk.  It's excellent!).  Third, I "love you"? He tells his kids that?  Brilliant.  Who wouldn't want to attend that school with a leader like that?

3.  The second video featured in the Smore is from one of my all time favorites, Seth Godin.  This is his iconic TED X Talk on reforming education where he asks a simple question (though it ends with a preposition): What is School For?  This is the talk where he says something I've seen quoted often (and something that can often enrage teachers): "Open book. Open notes. All. The. Time. There is zero value in memorizing anything every again.  Anything that is worth memorizing is worth looking up. So we shouldn't spend time teaching people to memorize stuff.

Whoa.  Of course, once our former principal, Mr. Zutz, shared this with us several years ago, my old friend Mr. Nordine, said, "Yeah, I guess there's no point in having my daughter memorize our phone number or address . . . "

Yes. That's vital.  Certainly, there are things that people should memorize.

But I think the point was missed.  What I think Godin is going after here is to ask us, as teachers and leaders, to be critical about the information we are presenting.  If it's important enough, it's important enough to connect to other information to paint a broader picture, to connect to a larger world view, to give you a greater depth and appreciation.  If it's worth memorizing, it's worth looking up . . . to connect to a larger context.

How often do we get to do that?  Or are we urged to remember dates and key details in isolation (most likely forgetting them as soon as the test is over)?  

Those are just a few things offered in this week's Teaching Thoughts.  Check it out, if not, well, thanks for getting this far in the email and for inspiring me!

Have a great week!



No comments: