Monday, November 26, 2018

Teaching Thought #53





Teacherscribe's Teaching Thought #53


Thought #4 – Talk about books.

From the link - Another way to make students aware of the reading all around them is to talk about it in the classroom. In addition to regular book talks, I make it a habit every day to ask the class, “How many people finished a book last night?” and “How many people read their choice books yesterday?” Although I know this isn’t a scientific measure of growth in my classroom, it does give students a quick, daily opportunity to see the reading happening among their classmates, and it’s a reminder of how much we value reading.

I also have developed the habit of talking about my life as a reader.  This includes my history as a reader, my favorite reads, what I’ve just read and what I want to read.  Who knows if it does any good, but it can’t hurt.

I noticed on the choir trip to SF that more than a few students were looking for book suggestions and asking me about the books I was reading.

I even had one student, Heidi, who became fascinated with Alcatraz.  That very night at dinner she had borrowed a book from one of the other students who actually bought one at the prison gift shop (Heidi regretted not getting a couple).  She had it read by the time we reached Montana! That’s the power of reading. Now I can’t wait to share her story.

What are you favorite reading stories?


No comments: