Wednesday, November 07, 2018

Teacherscribe's Teaching Thought #43




Teaching Thought #43

This thought I’m stealing from Shane’s weekly email, High Impact Leadership.  


Not only would I suggest you focus on these three ways, but I would also suggest you help your students develop these traits as well to help make themselves indispensable.

Way #2 – Develop complimentary skills.

What other skills can students develop to augment their real skills?  When I was young, I had a love for reading and writing. As time went on, I began to get in my 10,000 hours (thank you Malcolm Gladwell).  But I was fortunate enough – in college and now in teaching – to develop a growth mindset and a curiosity to keep learning and growing.

I can be an excellent writer and reader, but that doesn’t mean I can teach a lick.  I had to grow and develop complimentary skills. That’s where developing my public speaking, my comedic, and my technology skills came into being.

Always look for ways to show students your path to developing complimentary skills.  I fear that sometimes we give students the idea that if they master just one set of skills that they’ll be set for life, which cannot be further from the truth!


No comments: