Friday, September 21, 2018

Teacherscribe's Teaching Thought #14



Teaching Thought #14

Why do adults struggle so much with effectively leading young people?

This article offers an interesting perspective on the topic.

Here is the third way to start leading teens well:

Be genuine when you interact with teens

They don’t need you to be a buddy all the time. They do need you to be real and predictable. Consistency is a vital ingredient many teens are missing in life. When adults connect with them in an authentic way—it’s a gift. Remember the words of one student who said, “The only thing worse than being uncool is being unreal.”


This is one of my very favorite things to do with kids.  This happened one night when several of us on the choir trip went to a restaurant called Wipe Out.  As we waited for our pizzas, I took the opportunity to ask them a simple question – What is it that teachers do that you hate?  I wasn’t talking to them as a teacher.  I wasn’t even talking to them as a chaperone.  I was trying to get on their level and talk to them as someone who is just curious to get their perspectives.  And did I learn a ton.  But I was being totally genuine and transparent with them.  Doing this, I believe, helps build unbeatable culture.

No comments: