Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Teacherscribe's Teaching Thought #11



Teaching Thought #11

Be a role model.  The article coming up in the next series of teaching thoughts addresses this important thought.

First and foremost, you have to model what you want from your students.  This is why I write daily (most often during my prep and over lunch) with my students in mind.  When my third block College Comp class comes in and I explain their upcoming rite of passage essay, I can beat their moans and groans with one line: “Let me show you the rite of passage essay I wrote over lunch for you guys.”  There is something about this that proves to my students that we are all in this together and it cements us.

Now it doesn’t work perfectly for every kid in class, but they know that I’m not only willing to do the work with them but that I actually do it!  That has got to be worth something to them.

Don’t model this; instead model this

I’m always amazed how many adults let their problems define them.  Or, worse yet, wait for someone else to do something about it.  Do any of your friends/peers complain about the same issues every single year?  Or every single class?  

Yet, as in the latter example, how there are a few people out there who find ways to fix their lives and themselves.  I think their like Audri.  They are born problem solvers.  Do any of your friends/peers solve problems in unexpected ways.  Whenever I walk the halls at LHS, I love listening in to what other teachers are doing.  I’m always impressed with the passion and creativity they bring to their lessons. I need to be more like them.

I need to be more like Audri.


Don't forget you can see all the teacher thoughts by week here (as well as more resources).  Check it out.

No comments: