Monday, February 12, 2018

Teaching Tip #102


Teacherscribe’s Teaching Tip #102

Do you have an innovator’s mindset?  Here are the 8 characteristics of the innovator’s mindset.

3.  Risk takers

When I look back on all the cool things we do in College Comp I and College Comp II (the Linchpin boards, the exit interviews at Digi Key, the “remarkable” project, the braided essay, the mock TED Talk, reading The Ghost Map, students presenting their own lessons for Steal Like an Artist . . . these all have come out of risks I have taken.

As Mr. Zutz advised me every time I asked him if I could take a risk for one of these projects: “Go for it, Kurt,” Shane always said.  “Just make sure that if you fail, do it in front of your students.”

“Why?” I asked.

“So you can model how you recover.  Students need to see us take risks and see how we recover when those risks don’t work out.”

That is brilliant.




No comments: