Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Teaching Tip #92




Teacherscribe’s Teaching Tip #92
Let your freak flag fly.
This tip is so vital I should have put it first.  Students today want to know you personally.  This is 1975 where they came to school expecting just to sit and get information.
Today’s students want to know you and connect with you.  The best way to do this is let your freak flag fly.
You love Disney?  Get a bumper sticker and put it on your car.  Decorate your room with Disney.  One office worker at college had his office decorated with more Disney
paraphernalia than I had ever seen.  I don’t remember much about the two times I was in his office, but I remember that!
Want to have an impact and connect with your students?  Let that freak flag fly.

Out of all the stuff I tell students, this one I get the most feedback on. Just last year, a senior wrote me a letter saying that she was thankful for my class because I made it okay for her to be a nerd and a geek. She thanked me for always letting my freak flag fly, for (how's that for some alliteration) it made class both safe and fun for her.



No comments: