Friday, December 09, 2016

Teaching Tip #69



Teacherscribe’s Teaching Tip #69
LINK is a great place to have this conversation and share this resource because, honestly, I don’t know that students even have a clue out of what they should expect to get out of college.
1.     Subject-specific knowledge.  The world is far too complex to learn it all outside of the classroom.  I always tell students that their future professors will know about one single subject (Victorian England, Shakespeare’s King Lear, Bram Stoker’s Dracula . . .) than you know about everything!  Their subject-specific content knowledge is just that incredible.  Soak it up.

2.     Learning skills.  I think the best thing about college – at least for me – was that it forced me to learn how I learn best (I was a visual learner.  Thus taking notes and copying them and re-copying them was vital in how I learned).

3.     Adult-ing skills.  Like it or not, surviving college (and I don’t mean going for a semester or two and then flunking out or getting a job that doesn’t require a degree) teaches you to grow up.


4.     Personal relationships.  Ask someone who has been out of college 15-20 years.  Are they still friends with their college friends?  Did connections they made in college impact them in their careers?

No comments: