Teacherscribe’s Teaching Tip #42
Reading is more than “decoding.”
Here are some quick strategies that can help struggling readers with comprehending our texts –
· visualize (make mental pictures or sensory images)
· connext (to connect to one’s own experience, to events in the world, to other feelings)
· question (to actively wonder, to surface uncertainties, to interrogate the text).
· Infer (to predict, hypothesize, interpret, draw conclusions).
· Evaluate (to determine importance, make judgments)
· Analyze (to notice text structures, author’s craft, vocab, purpose, theme, point of view)
· Recall (to retell, summarize, remember information)· Self-monitor (to recognize and act on confusion, uncertainty, attention problems)