Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Teaching Tip #7



Teacherscribe’s Teaching Tip #7


How do you keep your passion up?

How I keep my passion up #3: I am a reader.  I am constantly consuming ideas and strategies.  I think the worst phrase after “That’s how we’ve always done it here” is “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”


This summer I read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.  It blew me away.  Not only is it a text that is read in colleges across the country, but it also challenges a lot of our ideas about success and genius.  So I was able to get copies for my College Comp class.  That now puts the reading load in that class to The Dip, The Element, The Ghost Map, two classic novels, Outliers, and another novel of their choice.  Something is going to have to go.  Or at least I am going to have to do a far more efficient job of teaching in order to get all of these things in.  But in the words of one of my heroes, Coach Mumm, “I’ll find a way to make it work.  I have to.”

No comments: