Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Teaching Tip #155



Teacherscribe’s Teaching Tip #155
This is yet another way that limiting beliefs can ruin things.
I had a student last year in College Comp 1 first semester who struggled mightily with his writing.  I felt bad when I would return one of his essays and it had more of my scribbling and correcting on it than he had written on it!
Finally, he sent me an email asking what he could do to get better.  We had a few sit down sessions, and his writing did improve, but it didn’t improve quite enough as I had hoped.
When that class was over, I saw he had signed up for College Comp 2 second semester.  I had serious doubts about his ability to keep up with the rest of the class.
However, something clicked in the student’s head, for his writing was totally up to par with everyone else’s in that class.
He embraced the growth mindset, and he worked his tail off to get his writing up to par.

That was the highlight of last year for me.

No comments: