Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Teaching Tip #12



Teacherscribe’s Teaching Tip #12

Be a digital role model.

This is one I had to learn the hard way on this very blog.

Remember what Vicki Davis says, make sure everything you (and your students) put on the web is W.O.W.  Worthy of the World.  For you never know who might see it.

An example - one time my kids were at the old play land in the Columbia mall.

A young guy dropped his kids off.  He happened to have a neck tattoo and a couple of hickies.

I couldn’t help but think “Nothing says father of the year like a neck tattoo.”

I took out my phone to Tweet it, but then thought, “I’d never say that to this guy’s face.  He’d beat the crap out of me!  So why would I put it on Twitter?”

I put my phone away and, thankfully, kept my snide thought to myself.

I tell this to my class, for the younger generation needs to know that they don’t have to put every single thought on line.  In fact, less is better!

Instead, I try and think about how I can model the same traits I want my kids to develop: curiosity, passion, empathy, and being a life long learner.

Then I ask myself, how can I model those for my students via Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and so on.


Every time I put something out there, I have my students and family a the front of my mind.  That’s being a digital role model.

No comments: