Saturday, July 04, 2015

One of my Favorite Fourth of July Memories

Myrtle Baril, my grandmother, was one of the most influential people in my life.  By the time I rolled around (1973 to be exact) she was at the end of an amazing career as an elementary school teacher.

(It is with quite a bit of pride that I find myself teaching in the same town as Granny spent the bulk of her career.  In fact, I have a colleague who had Myrtle as a teacher, and, just this year, I had the mother of one of my seniors, who told me that she would never forget having Myrtle as a kindergarten teacher and that she could still recall several things they learned that year!)



When she retired, I was blessed to become her sole pupil.  I fondly recall many afternoons over at her small apartment at Fairview Manor where we played games, colored, sculpted, read National Geographic and Boy's Life, re-enacted Star Wars with my action figures, took walks, and listened to stories.  I remember her reading me Beowulf right before nap time once.  I spent the whole time not sleeping a wink.  I just couldn't get over how our hero, Beowulf, could have ripped Grendel's arm right from the socket!  That's the kind of grandmother I had.  You're jealous. I know.

She was amazing; she was like steroids for my imagination.

I also have fond memories of Myrtle coming over to our house (only a few blocks away) to visit and babysit.

On one occasion she sat me down on our three season front porch and had me watch the approach of a massive thunderstorm.  Prior to that, they had terrified me (and they continued to terrify my mother).  But once Granny sat with me and explained all the science behind thunderstorms, she demystified them for me.  I was never scared of them again, even while my mom remained glued to the radio listening for the dreaded tornado warnings, ready to drag us all over to our neighbor's house and hunker down in their basement.

My family at the time took roughly two trips per year to my favorite place on earth (well, at the time, anyway) Grand Forks.  We went in early July to get fireworks (which were illegal in MN) and in early December for Christmas shopping.

So that trip to GF to get fireworks was one of the very best highlights of my year.  Not only that, but I enjoyed immensely organizing and re-organizing and re-re-organizing my fireworks arsenal.

I'd meticulously stack them in my room.  Then I'd take them down to the living room and stack them there.  Then I'd move to the porch and re-stack them again . . . all the while just imagining what they all would look like exploding in just a few days.

Luckily for me, Mom and Dad always let me get extra firecrackers and bottle rockets to pacify me until the Fourth.

I used to love to grab an olive colored 7up bottle, a punk, and head out to the old rail road depot down the street.

I loved the way just touching the punk's tip to the fuze dangling over the rim of the bottle would cause the fuze to come alive.

Those few seconds before the fuze reached the bottle rocket were some of the most exciting moments (hey, I lived in a very small town.  What can I say?).

I would hoist the bottle over my head, awaiting the shower of sparks and the thrush of the bottle rocket as it took on a life of its own and roared up into the air.  At least that's how I imagined it.

Then I'd rush to grab another one and repeat the process.

It wasn't until Grandma accompanied me on one of these excursions that she totally changed my perspective on things (as she was prone to do on just about everything).

Here is the moment -

Perspective

We stand amid the old tracks
  tar baking up from the ties
  gravel grinding under our shoes
  and tall grass rustling against our knees.

I hoist the 7Up bottle
loaded with the hissing
Black Cat heavenward.

These are the glorious seconds --
       
            the gray fuze hisses orange,
              flaking off pieces like a snake’s discarded skin,
           
            heat singes my hand,
               as the rocket takes on a life all its own

            its tiny red body tears free
                the muddy smoke swirls from the green glass
                       
                        leaving
                                   
                                    a taste of sulfur on the breeze.

Pleased as a boy can be,
I reach for the next candidate.

Granny, standing over me,
shields her eyes from the sun,
and watches the tiny rocket
twirl up
            and up
                        and up
                                    and . . .
     pop!

With the punk clenched between my teeth
I have another hoisted
by the time the tiny red body
lands in the grass behind  us.


                        “Don’t you ever enjoy their flight?”


This never occurred to me.



So we watch the next rocket
    climb
            above rooftops
                        twisting and turning,

                                    above highline wires
                                                leaving a faint gray vapor trail


                                                            above the trees
                                                                        its red body ascending

up to where the water tower
                     reaches
                                                                                                               then . . . pop!


                        “I wonder what it looks like from the rocket’s point of view?”

            From that moment – everything is different.

I see

            the oaks towering,
            the pines pointing

            our roof and chimney
            the flat, gravel covered roof of the high school
            the towering cross on the peak of the Catholic Church

            yards sectioned into neighborhoods
            blocks neatly squared off by
            streets and alleys.

            a tiny boy with his grandmother
            both peering up
            and growing smaller.


34 Fourth of Julys have passed since then
and on each one

I launch at least one bottle rocket --

the old 7Up glass bottles are long gone
replaced by cheap plastic.

But eventually I became good enough
to simply hold the rocket by its very tail.
Knowing the precise time -
            a blend of tension in the body
            heat from the ignition
            and 34 Fourth of Julys worth of timing
to let the rocket go free.

And I watch it go up and up and up
and I see the man grow smaller
and smaller

 and smaller.




No comments: