Sunday, May 17, 2015

Today's Reads, Views, and Links

Everything is live. Always. This Starbucks manager learns that the hard way in the clip below.




Will she lose her job? Should she?

Certainly we have all had "those" days when something trivial makes us snap.  I believe that must have been what occurred here.  Maybe she was angry at her employees or her son was up all night sick.  We don't know.  And we aren't likely to ever know.

This, I think, illustrates an important lesson we must teach our students: you are always live.  What I mean by that is that whatever you do can easily be recorded, uploaded, and then go viral.

And the worst part, it's always taken out of context.

In fact, the age we live in now is what I like to think of as the death of context and privacy.

It's my hope, though, that we learn to have more empathy than ever before.  Especially she, unfortunately inevitably, we may find ourselves in the same position as this manager.

Here are some more examples of the dangers of going viral: a few options and Vodka Sam.


Here is an interesting take on dealing with shame as a result of a scandal. Could you imagine what this scandal would have been like if it happened today?

 

*****

An interesting look at our connected world via the New York Times: The Tyranny of Constant Contact.

And it isn't just our millennial students who are addicted to their phones and staying in constant contact.

Teachers are the worst offenders here.

I saw this repeatedly when I was in St. Cloud for MCTE.  While the featured speakers were talking (and, yes, some were quite boring) and even during the breakout sessions, teachers (yes, teachers) were constantly on their phones and distracted and disrespectful.

Can you imagine?

Plus, I know some who would totally have a shit-fit (sorry for the expletive) if one of their students dared to do such a thing in class.

Hypocrites!

And I doubt the teachers (well, most of them) were live tweeting their thoughts about the speakers or sessions.

Here is one of the most interesting passages from the article -  And it's a lesson all of us can learn from -

My methods seem to work well enough. But daily I see others struggle. “I was in the recording studio the other day,” the producer and jazz trombonist Delfeayo Marsalis said. “I’d hired five musicians. We were in the studio for seven or eight hours. One of the musicians was 100 percent committed, no interruptions. He will be hired again. By contrast the bassist stayed on his phone throughout the session, doing social media. He will only be hired again if I can’t find someone else.”
Asked what dark, tangled forces may have prompted the bassist’s behavior, Mr. Marsalis said: “There’s a fear that: ‘Hey, I’m doing this session with you, but another guy might call me and give me a gig that pays $10 an hour. I can’t miss that call.’ ”
I still think the very best advice comes from one of my former students: leave the cell phone behind.  I used to have my CC 2 students do a 48 hour cell phone hiatus, where they turned in their phones to me and recorded what life was like "unplugged."

I ceased doing this because now that we are a 1:1 school, the students are really ever unplugged, even if they don't have their phones.

However, David, one of my CC 2 students, stated in a survey I sent out a few years ago that the one of the best things he took away from the class was as a result of the cell phone hiatus.

David explained that now when he needs to spend three hours studying in the library, he purposefully leaves his phone in his dorm.  That way he'll be able to focus.

That's something we can all do more of.

******

This one isn't related to teacher - 12 Simple Strategies All Memorable Brands use to Leave Lasting Impression.

But how can it relate to teaching?  I'm convinced that teachers have to think of themselves - and the experiences they offer their students - as a brand.  And don't we all want to leave a lasting (positive) impression on our students?

I need to read this one again and see if I can't make more connections between brand building and teaching.

******


I had to read this a couple times before I caught the word "ON."

I was so used to schools asking students to power down before entering that I didn't get this right away.

Love it.

******

Stories like this should be mandatory for the evening news.  I am not going to lie: I bawled while I watched this.

Here is the actual video.

And the best thing? I could totally see this happening at LHS.  It wouldn't even surprise me.






*******

How amazing is this? WWII Female Pilot Flies Favorite Fighter Plan 70 Years Later.

I think there is an amazing amount of stories to still be told about WWII.

This reminds me of the infamous Night Witches, Russian women who flew plans and terrorized German troops.

Here is a documentary, No Place on Earth, about an improbable survival tale of Jews during Nazi Germany.

Can you even imagine?




*****

This could be a great tool to use in my MGRP unit.

*****

How cool would this be?  I mean infographs are cool enough (it is my hope that one day they will supplement - if not replace - research papers), but an animated info graph through the use of GIFs? #mindblown

Plus, it's an animated info graph one how to create an animated info graph!  How cool is that?

*****

To celebrate the debacle that was standardized testing in MN this week (with the state's testing system having severe technical issues), here is the Onion's Pros and Cons of Standardized Testing.

Let me remind you, that John Merrow found that Hartz spends more money testing kitty litter than the US spends testing its kids.

And we test the shit (sorry for the second use of an expletive) out of our kids.  That just shows you how the test companies love to screw the kids over by using cheap and horrifically basic tests.

Don't tell me there aren't expensive tests that could gauge very important things like creativity, ability to work in teams, adaptability, and the most important skill of all - the ability to learn.

But why waste money testing kids on that?

******


I need to remember to save this one for next fall.  It'll be perfect for October!

No comments: