Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The problem with customer service

Just read this nightmare example of terrible customer service when a husband (who just happens to be a former editor of a technology site) and his wife tried to switch cable providers.  Luckily, he recorded the agonizing conversation and uploaded it. Now it's gone viral.

This is not how you treat people, let alone customers.

Why don't we ever read about poor customer service from Zappos or Southwest?  Because they know how to treat their customers . . . like people, not like numbers.

I am reminded of terrible customer service at least every other week when I get my mail and there is a new DirecTV flyer or letter asking me to come back to them.  

I left them simply because my house has 57 oak trees surrounding it and a clear view of the southern sky is an impossibility.  Thus, there's no reason to get a dish put on this house. 

Not to mention that when I had my previous dish moved from our house to the garage, it was a fiasco.  The first man who came (and remember DirecTV outsources all of its maintenance) walked on to my property.  Looked at the tree in front of my dish and said, "Cut that branch and it'll be fine."

So I cut that branch.  

But it wasn't fine.

So I cut several more branches (much to Kristie's chagrin).  And it still wasn't fine.

So I complained to DirecTV about the service call (apparently, the man shouldn't have left until the reception was how I wanted it).

A few days later a different service guy showed up.  He moved the dish to my garage, and things were better . . . except he didn't bury the 25 feet of cable.

He said he couldn't do that.  I had to.

Lovely.

So it wasn't exactly with a heavy heart that I terminated my relationship with DirecTV.  

And now they waste who knows how much in inundating me with offers asking for me to return and lying about how much they miss me.

Had their customer service been better (even average), I wouldn't have canceled.  Had they sent a guy over to move my dish, helped me bury the cable, and thrown in a discount on Sunday Direct Ticket, I would have never, ever left them.

But no.  They treated me poorly and now they just piss me off trying to get me back.

The polar opposite of this: apple.

They have always treated me well.  As a result, I've spent thousands of dollars on apple products and services.

I will never - God willing - own a PC.  I'm an apple lifer.

Another great customer service provider - Purdy's Shoes.

I went in to get Cash a pair of shoes.  The owner came over and immediately started helping me.  I wasn't pressured (such as Trade Home Shoes in the mall) and coerced at all.

After personally measuring Cash's feet (which Cash thought was pretty awesome) and coming back with a pair of shoes, the owner actually said, "Well, the only way we'll know if these work will be if you run in them."

Cash grinned.

Then the owner said, "Run to the door and back as fast as you can."

Well with how much fun Cash had doing that, I didn't even bother to ask the price.  I was sold.

Of course, when I looked at Kenz she was fighting back a frown and longing for a new pair of shoes.

The same excellent service ensued . . . including having Kenz take a lap around the store.

Then I even ended up with a pair of sandals!  Great customer service and I will always go there from now on. I'm a lifer.

Treat your customers humanely and value them; they will do the same.


No comments: