Friday, July 11, 2014

Early detection and warning signs

I am an advocate for gun control (such as assault rifles, not hunting rifles.  When it comes to that, every hunter I know is safe and quite responsible); however, I believe no amount of gun control would have averted this massacre.  This shooter was so disturbed that I believe he would have slit the throats of the family members as opposed to shooting them had he not been able to get his hands on guns.

However, as with so many of these tragedies, after the fact, the news comes out that the warning signs were glaring: I mean the guy's own mother had a restraining order against him!

Awhile ago I read about this slanted piece on a veteran being taken into custody for psychiatric evaluation (and who is now suing the government) over his alarming Facebook posts.  Well, as I said then, I'll take 100 false alarms like that if they prevent just one massacre like this one.  Sadly, though, the warning signs were glaring.  No one did anything about them.  Until it's too late.  And now a family is gone because of it.

No comments: