Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Sticky Note Book Report in College Comp II

This assignment went over so well that I think we are going to do it again. As of right now in class.  That's one thing I love about the curriculum for both my College Comp I and II: I have freedom. See as an official NCTC class, we have flexibility because if one of our students were to take this class at NCTC, they'd log 180 minutes in class, usually a 60 minute class on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

But at LHS, with our block schedule, 180 minutes is pretty much the beginning of Wednesday.  So I am able to cover so much more thanks to the block.

Yesterday we wrapped up the book talks and tomorrow their final hyper-text book reports will be due.  The assignment went over better than it has ever before.

During the question and answer section of each student's book talk, we were able to make connections to other books we read as a class or our own individual books. Unlike past classes, there hasn't been any complaining about the books or length.

Amazing.

So I think I'll give students the option of reading a book one of their classmates presented on.  I also have some other suggestions if they're interested.

Then they'll still do the annotation part (the Sticky-Notes). I don't know if they'll do another book talk up in front of the class. I am leaning toward having them do one because - as far as I'm concerned - students can never get enough public speaking experience.  Furthermore, it would be interesting to see the students make connections between the books.  And their final paper will be a multi-genre research paper based on their books.

The question now, though, will be do I let anyone read fiction? I had a couple of students ask about this.

No comments: