Thursday, August 29, 2013

LHS Core Values

Our principal shared the LHS core values with us this week.  If you're interested, they are these:

1.  We are not here for us.

2.  Fear doesn't get a vote.

3.  Excellence in the ordinary.

4.  Integrity communication.

5.  Our work matters everyday.

I love those and see those personified in the staff and faculty of our school when I walk down the hall.  I've seen all of these this week as a matter of fact.

We are not here for us -- I see my colleagues working on their rooms despite the fact that the AC upstairs isn't on yet.  That means moving boxes and unpacking and getting our rooms ready in temps that are in the 90 degree range.  I know my colleagues who have spent their  own money on classroom supplies to get ready for the kids.

Fear doesn't get a vote - we don't make decisions because of fear.  If we're scared, we wait and gather more options.  I can't help but think of this with our new 1:1 initiative.  As our Mr. Zutz and Mr. Vagle have said, we will meet you where you are.  If you're a high flyer using technology every day, they will push you to share with the staff and to use it even more effectively.  If you think technology is the copier, they'll work with you to brave a laptop.

But we don't cave to fear.

Excellence in the ordinary - do the little things great.  They add up.  Be on time. Update grades.  Return to work (I need a lot of work just to get to average on this one).

Integrity communication - mean what you say.  Practice what you preach.  Care.  Culture eats strategy for lunch, so build that culture in your classroom by communicating clearly with your kids how much you care.

Our work matters everyday - we don't get an off day.  Check the baggage at the door and rock the heck out of those kids!

2 comments:

Lee Ann Spillane said...

I love the line "culture eats strategy for lunch." I can hear the power of what we do day in and day out in this piece. It reminded me of Artistotle's ""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Wishing you a great start (and a fix for that pesky AC).

Lee Ann Spillane said...

I love the line "culture eats strategy for lunch." I can hear the power of what we do day in and day out in this piece. It reminded me of Aristotle's ""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Wishing you a great start (and a fix for that pesky AC).