Thursday, July 18, 2013

Time

This morning I was trying to help out a fellow teacher with a computer issue.  While I was doing this she began her science class.

"How old is the earth?" she asked.

There were a few guesses.

Then I raised my hand.  She wasn't expecting me to chime in, so she wasn't even looking in my direction.  However, a student was interested in how interested I appeared to be in the question.

The teacher turned, smiled, and said, "Okay. How old is the earth?"

"Four and a half billion years," I said proudly.

"That's right," she said and smiled.

"I love science," I admitted.

And it's true.  One of my favorite courses was 8th or 9th grade science with Mr. Lundeen where we examined the solar system and evolution and all kinds of things that just fascinated me.

Before I was able to fix the computer issue as best I could (which wasn't a whole lot), the teacher asked, "How long have humans been around?"

Easy.

"A hundred thousand years?" a student asked.

Not!

"Okay, any other guesses?" she asked.

As I left and she sat down to show a video on the history of the earth and humans, I couldn't help myself, "One and a half million years."

She smiled and said, "Correct."

I love science!

That got me to thinking about why I became so interested in science.  And while I had some great teachers in high school, Mr. Lundeen and Mr. Coenen, and in college, Terry Wiseth, and I work with one of the absolute best, H, I believe my fascination with science began simply with my grandmother and her subscription to National Geographic.

That reminded me of this essay:




No comments: