Thursday, June 27, 2013

Today's links, views, and reads

I love Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery."  It's one of the first things we read in College Comp I.  I think it's one of the most powerful stories in American Lit.

One thing that has always fascinated me about the story was the reaction.  When it came out in 1948 (check out this link to the actual first publication) in the New Yorker, people were shocked, horrified, and interested in what it meant.

Jackson is on record as saying out of all the letters she received that summer were not so much concerned with what it meant or her intent.  Instead they wanted to know where these "lotteries" were held and whether they could go there and watch.

I find that even more horrifying than the story itself.

So when I saw this link to more information about Jackson's story, I couldn't wait to read it.  It high lights some of the other letters Jackson's biographer was able to find (Jackson kept many).  The results are absolutely amazing.

****

I love this article (in honor of the "super moon") about what our night sky would look like if all the other planets were as close to us as our moon.

How awesome would this view be?


*****

Given our 1:1 environment, here is a really interesting article 3 Student Tech Trends Teachers Should Know About.

****

8 Things Parents Cannot Do For Their Kids (no matter how hard they might try).

*****


That's something we all want to know!  

This author argues that the millennials may just (thanks to the recession) develop some of the same "save, save, save" philosophy that their great grandparents had during the depression.

We'll see.

*****

I love this info graph: 22 Ways to apply Bloom's Taxonomy to the digital classroom.







Source: teachbytes.com via Kurt on Pinterest


*****

How to teach innovation?  That's a question I've been trying to answer for three years now.  This guide is something I'm going to employ in my classes next year.

*****

I have to use this for a persuasive prompt next year in College Comp I.

****

If you're a teacher, how many of these traits do you have?  Or if you've had great teachers in the past, how many of those traits did they possess?


No comments: